Intro to Practical Fundamentals
This is not a basic class. It is designed to “fill the gap” for novice shooters who have completed the NRA Basic Pistol or equivalent class and are interested in practical shooting competitions and/or enrolling in more advanced continuing education. Semi-automatic pistol shooters will find this class appropriate if they are interested in improving accuracy, getting experience on an open shooting line, using holsters and magazine carriers, or are looking for an excellent shooting refresher. If you are interested in getting started in IDPA or IPSC/USPSA or another practical shooting forums, this is a great place to start.
The class involves an academic component that may be held in a classroom or at an outdoor range. The practical segment of the class is held at an outdoor range. Arrangements can be made to hold the class at an indoor range if the facility allows for multiple shooters drawing and holstering on an open line; in front of shooting stalls in an open area.
This program, it’s equivalent or advanced experience, is a pre-requisite for OpSpec Training’s Practical Fundamentals class.
Students shall provide their own semi-automatic service pistol, Kydex belt holster, at least two magazines, and two magazine carriers.
Suggestions for Students
As this may be the first time students are taking a class with OpSpec Training, we have some suggestions for students. You must also review the What To Bring page for our pistol classes.
- You need to bring a modern service pistol that is in good working order. The gun should “fit your hand” properly. If you have any questions, contact us.
- In general, we suggest shooting 9mm rounds. It is preferred only from a cost point.
- Your holster should be USPSA or IDPA approved. Cross-draw, inside-the-waistband, shoulder or SERPA-type holsters are not permitted. We suggest a standard, outside-the-waistband belt holster from Blade Tech, Ozarks Holster Company, or equivalent.
- A high-quality, sturdy and stiff belt that properly supports the magazine carriers, holster and handgun. A quality, stiff leather belt is acceptable.
- If you have additional magazines and/or magazine carriers, bring them.